Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pittsburghitis


I own a toddler. duh I knew that this was coming. I was expecting it but I didn't think it would come so fast. I took Abby to get a haircut at Cartoon Cuts (so awesome by the way). I was a little worried about how the cut would go, I told the lady-if you can just get the bangs that's cool. To my utter shock Abby sat in that little chair, watching Elmo, like she gets her hair cut all the time and it's sooooooo not a big deal. We left the salon with the CUTEST hair cut in the world. Later that day I looked at my baby and was shocked to see that, my baby was gone and in her place is a running, tantrum having, toddler. sad. I watched her 1 year video this week and cried. I feel like I didn't appreciate all her stages,when she was teeny weeny I was waiting for her to able to sit up, and then I wanted her to crawl, and then I wanted her to eat solids, and then I wanted her to walk, etc... everyone does that right?
This weekend we WERE planning a trip to Pittsburgh to see family, go to the zoo, and generally have lots of fun. Wednesday night Abby was FUSSY w/ a capital F, felt like she was burning up to me but took her temp and it was normal. I trusted my $40 thermometer and assumed she was over dressed. The next day she would not eat breakfast and when we went to Target she got fussy, this is not like her she LOVES to go to Target, came home for lunch, she turned her nose up at lunch and then cried. hmmmmm....I thought, she feels warm again, but again my trusty thermometer would not lie to me right? As we were going away I thought (my mommy alarm went off) let me just call the pedi to see if they can check her ears because it would be our luck to go away and then have her be sick while we are there. I took her to the pedi and her temp was 101.4, what? My thermometer is a piece of shit apparently, so glad I wasted $40 on it, not happy. Her ears were OK, the one that was infected 2 weeks ago is still a bit "weird" according to the pedi but not infected, her throat was very red but not strep. Abby has a virus that is going around, every kid who has come into her office this week has the same fever and sore throat. I ask her the question, "should we still go away?" hoping she will say, sure it's no biggie... "I wouldn't", she says. Pittsburghitis strikes again. What is Pittsburghitis you say? well, when I was younger and we would go to Pittsburgh 9 times out of 10 I would get strep throat right before we would go or while we were there. Apparently it is hereditary.
So yesterday Abby's fever got up to 104.1. Yikes! I got a new thermometer, which seems to get working correctly, another $40. When I took her temp and it was 104 Abby was running around, laughing, talking non stop, playing, generally have the time of her life. wha? When I had mastitis my temp got up to 104 and I was lying on the couch, wrapped in a thousand blankets, crying my eyes out. Am I a big wimp? Or is Abby just a trooper? Since yesterday her fever has only gone up to 101 so I'm hoping we have seen the worst of this virus. Now we just have to plan our trip to Pittsburgh AGAIN and hope Pittsburghitis doesn't rear it's ugly head.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, what were you saying? I couldn't move past the picture of the most adorable toddler in the world at the top of the page.


    No really, I did read it. I am glad she is feeling better and you are handling the dissapointment of not going on your trip far better than I would.

    ReplyDelete